A "Green" Appraisal Company?
Can an appraisal company really be green? We like to think we are helping to make a small difference.
Some ways that we reduce our footprint:
- Only recycled paper is used in the office. We changed from legal to letter size paper. We recycle the paper that we do use.
- All office light fixtures that can use Compact Fluorescent Bulbs have them.
- We email instead of mail or deliver all appraisal reports (don't print them unless you have to).
- Whenever possible, we schedule multiple inspections in the same geographic area for the same day.
- We turn off our lights and heat/air at night. We generally use window/sunlight during the day. We only use flat screen computer monitors.
- Our appraisers mainly work out of home offices, reducing auto trips, no commuting to "the office".
- Our office is centrally located, which shortens the average length of auto trips.
- We try to schedule appointments during non commute hours to reduce car time.
- We properly consider the market effect of energy efficient home improvements such as solar, dual pane windows, and insulation.
- All office furniture was purchased "pre owned."
Interested in going green? Here are some resources:
http://www.enviroliteracy.org/article.php/1345.html home & office tips
http://www.thegreenoffice.com/ National supplier of mostly recycled/green office supplies.
http://www.coopamerica.org/programs/shopunshop/buyinggreen/greenyouroffice.cfm 10 green office tips